Thursday, November 12, 2009

My baby is sick. :-(

I know some of you were concerned for Gwen and were wondering how she was doing, so I thought I'd post about it. Sorry, it's pretty lengthy. I've only had an hour or two of sleep last night so hopefully it all makes sense.


Tuesday morning Gwen woke up burning up with a fever. She had no other symptoms, so I just gave her some motrin and waited it out. Then she got really sick and shakey and only wanted to lie on the couch or be held. And for those that know Gwen, she does NOT sit still! Gage took her to the doctor and her temp was 103.6 and she had a red, sore throat. Later on that night her fever got up to 104.7 so I took her back to the doctor at the after hours clinic. They suggested that I send her to the hospital to get her tested for the swine flu and to start her on Tamiflu. So we did that. Poor little girl had to be held down so they could shove a tube up her nose. A side effect of Tamiflu is diarrhea so in my opinion it didn't help at all. Gage stayed home with me on Wednesday since we didn't get any sleep that night. Wednesday afternoon she really seemed to be getting better, and her results came back negative for H1N1. But last night her fever went to 105.4 and we couldn't get her fever to go under 105. After midnight her fever got to 105.8 and she started vomiting. So I took her to the E.R. She basically has an upper respiratory infection (a cold), with a really sore throat but with such a high fever it's a pretty severe cold. Her tonsils are a little inflamed as well and the doctor said there was a chance this cold could turn into tonsillitis, so hopefully that won't happen. She is still miserable and still has a high fever. She refuses to eat or drink and I have to force her to take her medicine every three hours. (I'm alternating motrin with tylenol) I also bought her some fun cold things to eat and drink to try and get her to drink, but so far no luck. The biggest concern right now is that she doesn't get dehydrated. The little girls that I normally watch are taking the week off so hopefully they didn't catch what Gwen has.

Oh and I just want to say how thankful I am for that annoying purple dinosaur because that is the only thing (besides her daddy) that makes my daughter happy right now!!

6 comments:

patty said...

Oh how sad. I'll try to find her a purple dinosaur.

Stacy said...

Oh poor Gwen! and you! I hope that she feels better real soon. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Thinking of you.

LeShel said...

poor Gwen. I am sorry she is so miserable! I'm glad that purple dinosaur is helping someone.

Bri Gutierrez said...

Poor little girl. That is awful. Hopefully her fever will go down soon, and she can start feeling better. She will be in my prayers today.

Jenny Hansen said...

Thanks everyone! Her fever broke tonight, however she is still really miserable. I got her to eat a little for dinner. Hope the night goes smooth!

Liz said...

I hope and pray that this morning finds Gwen feel a little better and willing to eat. It is so sad when they are so ill.
Prayers are with you.